Parents Q&A

Thank you for submitting a question through the For You and Baby website. Your question is being reviewed and you will receive an answer shortly.

In the meantime if you require help and advice on breastfeeding click here and if you require help and advice on smoking in pregnancy click here. If you need urgent medical advice please call NHS 111

< Go back


How can I support my pregnant partner in eating well?

Although you don't need to make any specific adjustments to your diet, it is best to support your partner and keep a healthy diet. It is also important that you are aware of what foods your pregnant partner should avoid should you cook a meal. For more information, visit our healthy eating page.

What impact can smoking have on my baby?

Smoking can restrict the oxygen supply to your baby and increases the risk of complications during both pregnancy and birth. Its impact can then extend to later life, as your child may be more likely to suffer from asthma and other serious illnesses. Click here to see how stopping smoking benefits your baby.

What can I do to support my partner who wants to breastfeed?

Support from partners can help women to breastfeed for longer. There are a range of ways in which you can support your partner, from doing bits around the house to arranging paternity leave at work. For more information, see the NHS guide to supporting a woman breastfeeding here.

What services and support can I go to to help me stop smoking whilst pregnant? 

There are many services in Derbyshire and Derby City which can help you quit smoking. For more information on these, please see our Quit Smoking page.

Text Size: